Amon’s armortutorial by Pahisman
This is a tutorial on how to make Amon’s arm armors for youself, easy and cheap!!
Press Read more.
1. First you need a reference picture, a pencil, an eraser, paper, a ruler, scissors and fabric. The fabric should preferably be leather or some other nice-looking and durable kind.
2. Use your own arm as a model. Cut out the right shape out of paper, and fit it on your arm. Remember to draw the edges and the things in the middle in the paper version.
3. Cut out the pieces of the fabric. The larger piece has to go around your arm, also leave some allowance for the attachment. Mine is closed with a zipper, but you can also use press studs or hooks. Whatever feels good to you.
Make the piece of fabric a little bigger than the armor sketch (vertically)
Also make the smaller piece a little bigger (vertically)
This point I recommend you attach the zipper (or whatever you’re going to use for it).
Because then you’ll see it really fits your arm and is tight enough, thus won’t fall off your arm or anything.
I’m not going to write about how I sewed the zipper, here, if you’re having problems with it, you can always send questions
4. For the next step you need:
the paper sketch
1-2 pieces of craft foam
Craft foam is made out of cellular plastic, and should be found in sheets. It’s not very thick, and it’s easy to cut. You can find it in different colors, but the color doesn’t matter, you can pick any one. It’s also really cheap, one sheet is about 2 € and is 30x46 cm in size. There are different sizes, but I use that one.
5. Using the paper model, draw the shape and cut it out.
After that cut out the edges and the center pieces of the paper model, and take a new piece of craft foam and cut out the same kind of pieces.
6. It should look like this. Numerize the center pieces so you know where they belong. You should start out with them somewhat too long, and shorten them later, so that they fit under the edges.
7. spread some running glue over it. The glue will turn transparent when it dries, giving it a polished look on the surface of the pieces, so they won’t look matte anymore.
8. As you can see, the piece is completely straight. You don’t have to forcibly bend it to the right shape.
9. The best way to modify the shape of the foam is to use heat. Put on the stove and wait for it to warm up. Place the piece over it, and let the hot steam soften it. When it’s soft enough, put it on your arm in the spot you want it in. The piece might be warm so you should wear a long-sleeved shirt and ask a friend to place the piece in the right position. Press the piece against your arm for around half a minute. If the shape isn’t good, you can re-heat it and repeat as many times as you want until you get a good result.
10. You need:
A hot glue gun
The arm armors you made
a piece of fabric where you’ll attach the armor (read more about it from the beginning of the tutorial)
11. Hot glue the pieces to the fabric. Only put glue in the middle, don’t glue the edges.
12. Grab the thread and needle. Sew the pieces to the fabric from the edged marked with red. Craft foam isn’t very thick, and a large needle should pass through. Don’t sew too close to the edge, though. Sew the smaller piece to the fabric of the bigger piece. This way they will be attached together
13. Take the paper glue and glue the cut-out “edge”, and the pieces belonging to the inside, to the right places. This way the sewing you did will be unseen
14. Go out and spray the armor red/reddish brown. Cover the fabric part so it won’t get spray in it.
15. You’ll need:
-brushes of various sizes
- a black, red, brown and cream/beige(not white) paint.
I bought my paint from a craft store. A small bottle was around 3 €.
16. Mix some brown and red. Also add a bit of black. Begin with the inner part of the armor. It doesn’t matter if you get paint on the edge parts. You should still try to keep the fabric part clean.
17. When the whole brown part is painted, mix in more black.
18. Paint all the edges with the darker color. You should do that when the previous paint is still wet. This way you’ll get them to blend a bit, and if the paint comes out too dark, you can easily lighten it.
19. Wait for the paint to dry.
Mix some brown and cream together, and paint the edges with that.
20. Paint the edges with a slightly darker color again. This time add more brown, you don’t need black.
You need studs like these. They are not sharp, the edges are bendable. If you can’t find studs, use something else.
If the stud is the wrong color (like this golden one), paint it silver.
22. Put the stud through the armor so that it also goes through the fabric. Turn the edges and cut them as short as you’d like
It should look like that now.
23. Finally, take a white ribbon or bias tape. Paint (both sides) it the same color as the edges of the armor, and glue it between the pieces with hot glue.
24. Cut the ribbon so that it will be long enough to go around your arm, and you will be able to tie it.
Any questions? Send asks and I will answer.
I hope you found this helpful!
Dy-na-mo helped me with tutorial translation! Thank so much.